Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dissed By Mean Girls

Waiting in line and telling us how we should set up our tables. Yes, yes, you know who you are……

While waiting in line, some folks get really impatient because they can’t believe there’s a line in the first place, but on Saturdays, in the Summer, in the Ferry Building, outside, there will be a line folks.

Here’s a little side lesson about seating in a restaurant: Most restaurants, unless you are a really regular customer, who orders a lot of food, we don’t prefer (not that we won’t) to sit 2 people at a 4 person table, because each chair makes money. If there is no body in the chair, than it’s wasted space. Generally speaking, we will have you wait for a 2 person table.

So, a gentleman had 5 people and he wanted a table. 5 was a wee bit tricky, because we can’t fit 5 folks at a 4 person table it would be tight. If you want to sit together, which most folks do, we have to get a 2 top and a 4 top together, next to each other to create the table. In the end, he had to separate his children, 2 teenage girls from his son and he and his wife. So we did 3 and then 2. Since seating is not a very compelling topic, I will tell you how I got “dissed” by 2 teenage girls. So I greeted the girls, I am thinking 15 ish and they asked me for my all time favorite thing (not) clam chowder in a bread bowl. Now all of you out there that come to San Francisco, and you are on the hunt for soup in a bread bowl, I swear, I just DON”T GET IT!. Think about it, a gooey soup inside mushy bread. Now once you are done with your chunky monkey soup, what are going to do?, eat the that gooey bread bowl. I typically keep all of these thoughts to myself, because of course, I am a professional, but also because, I try to be pleasant.

“Hi there, what can I get you?”

“Yes, we would like to have 2 clam chowders in the bread bowl please.”

“ I’m sorry we have clam chowder and we have bread, but not the two together.”

Sigh, eye roll, oh, um……. (I so wanted to have one of them flip their hair to one side)

“Is that going to be ok or would you like something else (Secretly I was thinking I am a 41 year old woman who so just got dissed by 2 15 year old girls, It’s like I was just bashed by the “Mean girls!”)?”

“Um, well that’s ok then just the soup and bread then.”