Friday, September 11, 2009

“No” is not a four letter word

Has life come to such a place that when one hears the word “no” it’s considered rude and shocking. It’s almost as if nowadays if we don’t all agree to let everybody do whatever they want then there is going to be a problem. I think part of this is a result of everybody trying to not step on everybody else’s toes or offend them in anyway.

In our society, rules seem to be loosely open for interpretation, a guideline, not an absolute, rather than something that is in place to keep peace and order. For example, a red light should mean “stop” unless you think it is “pink” which means you can make it through the intersection before it is “really red.” Who hasn’t been with a friend that at some point has said, “that wasn’t red it was pink, I didn’t run the light.”

People also like to ignore rules or comments in print. People will say things like “oh, I didn’t see that sign” or “I didn’t read that.” The assumption is that it doesn’t apply therefore. I missed it or didn’t see it so it doesn’t apply to me……

How does this relate to the blog this week, well I’ll share my inspirations for this week’s thoughts:

4 people came to the restaurant sat down and ordered ice teas and beer. After the server gave them their beverages, he asked them if he could get them something else and they said, “no, just the drinks” and then proceeded to open 4 togo boxes.

The server was new, and our Manager asked him why the whole table was essentially picnicking at our restaurant. She said, “Remember no outside food in our restaurant.”

She went over to the table and she said, “I’m sorry no outside food.”

The people said, said they had purchased the drinks.

She said “I’m sorry I can pack your drinks in a togo cup for you, but not the beer.”

The gentleman at the table said “You are rude.”

She said I am sorry it’s stated on the menu “no outside food.”

He repeated “You are rude!”

Why is it so hard to simply say “Oh, ok, didn’t see that and can you tell us where we can go to eat our lunch?” And besides that, who would think it is ok to bust out an entire meal for 4 in a restaurant from another restaurant?

Our Manager was baffled to say the least, and quite frankly so am I, even still. Are we not allowed to have our own rules in our own restaurant? And if you don’t like them, then do you just ignore them? If we call you on it, then we are the bad rude people.

I don’t get it.

No comments: